Scope of Work: Promotes and enhances academic achievement, personal/social growth and career development. Implements the comprehensive guidance and counseling program according to the State of New York School Counseling Program Student Standards.
Duties and Responsibility:
• Conduct goal- oriented counseling, responsive to identified student needs, relative to student achievement and school success.
• Collaborate with school personnel to assist students with developing skills that support academic achievement, high school graduation and lifelong learning.
• Maintain confidentiality and accurate student records
• Participate as a member of the school- crisis team.
• Maintain accurate transcripts by assisting students with appropriate course section and placement to fulfill high school graduation requirements
• Assist students with investigating college, university and career and technical schools, scholarship options, and financial aid information in an effort to develop post-secondary options.
• Work cooperatively with Adult Service agencies (OPWDD, ACCES-VR, OMH, etc) to ensure vocational assessments and transitional planning is done seamlessly.
• Coordinate all NY State testing for grades 3-8, Alternate Assessments, Regents exams and ACT. This is to include the ordering and reviewing of materials, working with teachers to review all testing accommodations and requirements and the implementation of the testing, and the return of all materials to the state and individual districts.
• Oversee tutorial needs of Junior/Senior High School Students and make recommendations
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Experience working with Deaf and Hard of Hearing population
• Ability to communicate using American Sign Language or willingness to learn and show progress through formal evaluation
• Strong administrative skill profile exhibiting a high level of professionalism, attention to detail and the ability to organize work and manage time effectively
• Demonstrated experience in data entry and reports
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication; including the ability to effectively communicate and interface with all levels of employees as well as external customers
• Capable of handling and appropriately prioritizing requests from multiple sources, in a timely manner
• Resourceful and demonstrates a high level of independence and initiative to resolve issues and take on challenges as they arise
• Ability to identify the need and make recommendations for process improvements to increase efficiency
• Demonstrated ability to work with highly confidential material
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and the ability to learn and become proficient at using other technology tools as required.
Education and/or Experience
• Master’s degree or higher
• NYS Certification in School Counceling